Calling all Makers: Create Face Masks for UMMC Use!
Hospital systems in the US have been and will continue to be challenged to meet the needs of patients who may be COVID-19 positive. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently issued guidance approving the use of cloth masks. If you are able to sew such masks, UMSON is collecting them to be delivered to the University of Maryland Medical Center weekly. You can find links to instructions, a PDF template, and collection details below.
Please make mask ties at least 16.5 inches each.
- Cloth masks can be distributed to patients in the hospital or at discharge who desire a mask and do not require PPE, which will help to conserve the hospital’s PPE
- Cloth masks can be used for non-clinical staff who desire a barrier but do not require PPE for their role and work
- Cloth masks are sewn using CDC specifications
- Cloth masks will not be used for COVID-19 positive or COVID-19 suspected patients; only approved PPE will be used for hospital staff who provide care to these patients
- There are two variations of the mask – folded and fitted – and both are options when creating these masks
- Sewing experience, not expertise, is required to fabricate these correctly
- We greatly appreciate the caring people in the community who have joined in this effort to individually support the healthcare community
Once you have made the masks, please mail then to:
5401 Hamlet Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21214
If you have any questions about connecting with Susan, please email her (email@example.com). Susan will deliver the face masks to UMSON weekly, and UMMC will arrange to send someone to UMSON to pick them up.
If you have questions or need additional guidance for making the masks, please feel free to reach out to Deb Greenspan, who is coordinating this effort with Susan.