Apply Now to Grid Pitch 2024
The Grid Pitch is a student event that promotes entrepreneurial ideas.
This showcase allows for students to pitch their innovative business ideas to a panel of experts and investors in the entrepreneurial community. Accepted participants will receive coaching and mentoring from experienced entrepreneurs and business experts.
Grid Pitch will have two participation tiers: Vision and Venture. Both tiers are open to all current and aspiring University of Maryland, Baltimore students. Each team must have at least one (1) current or aspiring UMB student. Each team member must participate in the proposed business idea.
For aspiring or current students who have an idea to change the world, but have not yet begun the journey of implementation.
For aspiring or current UMB students who have an idea that is fleshed out and have begun the journey of implementation. Applicants for the Venture tier can have an established business.
• The proposed idea should be in the innovation, healthcare, biotech, life science, health tech, public health, health tech or social entrepreneurship fields.
• Teams that have acquired over $100,000 in gross revenue from operations to date resulting from the sales of products and/or services are not eligible.
• Please do not contact any panel members prior to the date of the competition. This will automatically disqualify an entry from this competition.
• Please address any questions to Taylor DeBoer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications open: Jan 24, 2024, at 3 p.m. EST
Applications close: Feb. 15 2024, at 11:59 p.m. EST
All accepted applicants will be required to submit team bios and headshots, a rough draft of pitch to be submitted the week prior to the Grid Pitch Showcase on April 18. Additionally, all participants will be required to submit a recorded version of the pitch by May 1.
Grid Pitch Showcase: Thursday, April 18, 2024 at 601 W. Lombard St., 3rd floor in the Grid
Other mandatory meetings, events, and workshops will be scheduled during the semester.
Proposals will be scored based on the following criteria:
• Potential benefit and appeal to patients, clients, consumers and/or community
• Likelihood of development: investment potential and consideration of ongoing funding support
• Intellectual property strategy and status: freedom to operate (if applicable)
• Timeframe and probability of success
• Fit with overall competition requirements
Mentors will be working with student teams to develop and improve their concepts and business models. Individual mentoring assignments will be determined by The Grid's leadership team.
Selected Proposals/Finalists: Each team will have either 3 or 5 minutes to present the concept in person and participants and panels will be able to provide written and verbal feedback to finalists after all have pitched their ideas. This isn’t “Shark Tank” but instead a celebration of ideas and aspiring student entrepreneurs.
In addition to the live, in-person pitches, participating teams will be required to submit pre-recorded versions of the pitches.
Grid Pitch is our annual student showcase that brings UMB students together to tackle health and social challenges. Accepted students are paired with experts and mentors for 6 weeks of intensive coaching which culminates with an event at the Grid in April. Applications for Grid Pitch 2024 will open in January.