Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The health of the UMB community is a top priority for the Graduate School. This site will be updated with resources and communications for the Graduate School community. You are advised to check the UMB COVID-19 Site for the latest information about the outbreak, measures implemented to reduce its spread, and the impact on travel and other activities.
Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19
This section will be updated periodically with information pertaining to current and future students, Graduate School operations and events.
The Student Emergency Fund (SEF) was established to support students who have unexpected emergency expenses, particularly during the COVID-19 crisis, such as illness, medical emergency, or the need for housing, food or transportation. I am proud to say that in the face of these challenges, the Graduate School has pulled together and is meeting each and every challenge with grit and determination.
We encourage you to apply by filling out the online application link listed below and provide documentation of the financial hardship that you are experiencing.
Please note that the SEF awards cannot be used to cover any of the following expenses:
- Tuition, lab fees, health insurance
- Parking tickets and other university-imposed fines
- Costs for entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel
Request will be reviewed on a case by case basis to determine applicants’ eligibility and an interview may be required (on-line or via phone call) with a representative from the Graduate School as well.
Recognizing that our students’ lives have been significantly disrupted by COVID-19, we have developed a option in which students will be able to opt-in to Pass/Fail grading on a course-by-course basis with permission of their Graduate Program Director (GPD), course director and the Graduate School.
The deadline to request Pass/Fail grading is April 24th.
Review the guidelines for the Pass/Fail Grading Option.
To the fullest extent possible, admissions, enrollment and registration, grade acquisition & posting, and student progression-related, and degree certification activities and functions will continue through the mandatory telework time period. Some activities and processes may slow down and take longer to complete - and there will be postal mail delays - but otherwise we hope and expect to provide our full, normal support.
The Graduate School fully supports your successful completion of your degree program including your upcoming defense.
- All defending students will establish a method for videoconferencing (examples include WebEx, Zoom or Skype) the open presentation portion of the defense and defense exam.
- All committee members may participate remotely in defenses.
- If the conferencing technology fails and the examiner can not fully participate, the committee may fail to reach its quorum. In this case, the examination must be rescheduled.
- The Report of Examining Committee will be sent to the Graduate School Dean's Representative in advance of the defense.
- All committee members are encourage to sign the document electronically.
- Student will submit the form to the Graduate School within 48 hours.
Recent recommendations and policies regarding COVID-19 require modifications to previously established Procedures for Examination of the Master's Thesis and Procedures for Examination of the Doctoral Dissertation.
ETS has introduced a solution for students who have been impacted by the coronavirus to take the TOEFL iBT® test and the GRE® General Test at home until test centers can reopen. TOEFL® testing is scheduled to begin on March 26, and GRE testing will begin on March 27.
Testing will be conducted through the use of live remote proctoring serviced by ProctorU®. This high-touch, real-time human monitoring of test sessions limits the number of seats available. Students can register beginning today in the following countries:
- United States
- Hong Kong (China)
- Macau (China)
Guidance and Letters to the UMB Community
- July 4, 2020 Guidance on Out of State Travel
- June 30, 2020 University Recovery Update
- June 25, 2020 UMB Phased Research Plan
- June 24, 2020 Penn and Pearl Reopening
- June 22, 2020 Thank You For Supporting UMB's Front Line Employees
- June 17, 2020 Facilities and Operations Responds to COVID-19
- June 15, 2020 University Recovery Update
- June 12, 2020 UMB Housing at Fayette Square and Pascault Row Apartments PDF
- June 3, 2020 USM Guidance on Employees at High Risk for COVID-19 Complications
- June 3, 2020 Research Update
- May 29, 2020 Chancellor's Letter and Episodic Telework Reminder
- May 21, 2020 Travel Guidance
- May 20, 2020 Return to Normal Pay Practices
- May 19, 2020 UMB Research Phased Plan
- May 15, 2020 Letter regarding UMB Recovery Framework
- May 15, 2020 UMB Recovery Framework
- April 27, 2020 UMSON Offers Early-Exit Option to Students to Bolster Nursing Workforce During Pandemic
- April 24, 2020 COVID-19 General Updates
- April 16, 2020 Letter regarding communications survey
- April 14, 2020 Letter from Dean Reece to FPI Patients
- April 14, 2020 Letter to Graduating Students
- April 9, 2020 Update to Episodic Teleworking
- April 6, 2020 UMB Guidance on the Use of Non-Medical Cloth Face Coverings
- April 3, 2020 With Gratitude to the UMB Community
- April 3, 2020 Student Refunds and Bankmobile
- March 31, 2020 Student Refunds Spring 2020
- March 30, 2020 Extension of Episodic Telework
- March 28, 2020 A message to graduating students from Dr. Jarrell
- March 23, 2020 Severe Research Restrictions take effect on Monday at 5 p.m.
- March 23, 2020 Guidance on research administration expenses on sponsored projects
- March 23, 2020 A video message from Dr. Jarrell
- March 21, 2020 A member of the UMB community has tested positive for COVID-19
- March 20, 2020 Clarification of Guidelines for Designation of Laboratory Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Fellows
- March 19, 2020 Continuation of virtual learning, commencement, and refund of fees
- March 19, 2020 New UMB Clinical Placement Guidelines
- March 18, 2020 COVID-19 Research Guidelines
- March 12, 2020 Step 2 UMB/UMMS Policies and Guidance Regarding COVID-19
- March 12, 2020 New UMB Telework Policy
- March 12, 2020 Preventing Spread of COVID-19 in Research and Scholarship
- March 10, 2020 UMB/UMMS Policies and Guidance Regarding COVID-19
Updated July 1, 2020 at 09:20 a.m.
Photo Courtesy: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention