Apply to a Certificate Program
Please read all instructions below before completing your online application. We suggest that you reserve about 30 minutes to complete the online application.
To apply, you must submit the online application and all required documents to the Graduate School along with the required nonrefundable application fee.
Graduate School Requirements - Before completing the online application, please review Graduate School admissions requirements and guidelines in the "Admissions" section of the Graduate Catalog here - http://graduate.umaryland.edu/policies/
Program Specific Requirments - Many programs have additional requirements such as an interview or a CV. It is important that you contact the office of the program to which you are applying to about additional admission requirements. Failure to do so may result in applications not being considered. APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS 2017.
In addition to completing the online application, you are required to submit the following items as part of your application for admission:
Send to the Graduate School
- Transcripts - An official transcript from every institution previously attended or currently attending must be submitted in a sealed envelope, as prepared by the sending institution. Electronic transcripts from University System of Maryland institutions will be accepted in lieu of official, sealed transcript.
Transcripts may be requested directly through your degree-granting institution(s), or through one of the following transcript clearinghouse services:
Transcripts may be sent to:
University of Maryland, Baltimore
The Graduate School
620 W. Lexington St., 5th Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Official electronic transcripts may be sent directly from your degree-granting institution to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score reports (International Applicants Only) - Applicants from outside the US are required to demonstrate English proficiency. The Graduate School accepts either the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). Minimum required scores are 80 on the Internet-based TOEFL, and 7.0 on the IELTS. Scores must be sent directly from either TOEFL (please use ETS institution code #5848) or the IELTS agency to the Graduate School.
- Essay - Your essay/goals statement is part of your online application, and does not need to be uploaded as a separate supplemental item. This statement should be between 300- to 500-words and outline your goals and objectives in pursuing graduate study.
- Resume or CV - A Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume is required by most graduate programs. Once you've submitted your application, your CV may be uploaded as a supplemental item in the online application portal.
- Application for in-state status classification (Maryland residents only) - If you wish to be considered for “in-state” residency status for admission and tuition purposes you must complete an Application for In-State Classification and submit it to the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com.
You may check the status and progress of your application online once it has been electronically submitted to the Graduate School. Supplimental items such as resumes and essays may be added to your application may be added at a later date. Additional items such as official transcripts need to be sent to the Graduate School via postal mail or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not attempt to update your application by re-submitting it again.