Apply for Admission
Please read all instructions below before completing your online application. We suggest that you reserve about 30 minutes to complete the online application.
To apply, you must submit the online application and all required documents to the Graduate School along with the required nonrefundable application fee.
Graduate School Requirements - Before completing the online application, please review Graduate School admissions requirements and guidelines in the "Admissions" section of the Graduate Catalog here - http://graduate.umaryland.edu/policies/
Program Specific Requirments - Many programs have additional requirements such as an interview or a CV. It is important that you contact the office of the program to which you are applying to about additional admission requirements. Failure to do so may result in applications not being considered. APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS 2017.
In addition to completing the online application, you are required to submit the following items as part of your application for admission:
Send to the Graduate School
- Transcripts - An official transcript from every institution previously attended or currently attending must be submitted in a sealed envelope, as prepared by the sending institution. Electronic transcripts from University System of Maryland institutions will be accepted in lieu of official, sealed transcript.
Transcripts may also be provided through one of the following transcript clearinghouse services:
Transcripts may be sent to:
University of Maryland, Baltimore
The Graduate School
620 W. Lexington St., 5th Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Official electronic transcripts may be sent directly from your degree-granting institution to email@example.com
- Letters of recommendation –Master’s and PhD degree program applicants must provide three letters of recommendation from professors or others who can attest to the quality of your academic performance and scholastic potential. If your letter of recommendation process is not managed within the online application, you must provide your letters on the online form provided for this purpose.
Letters of Recommendation are not required for the Graduate School's online Certificate programs.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) – Master’s and PhD degree program applicants must provide of scores earned on the GRE General Test (verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing scores). Score reports must be sent directly from the testing agency to us; the UMB Graduate School’s institution code for the GRE is # 5848.
The GRE General Test is required for the Implementation and Dissemination Science certificate, but is not required for the remaining Graduate School online Certificate programs.
- English Language Proficiency (International Applicants Only) - Applicants from outside the US are required to demonstrate English proficiency. The Graduate School accepts either the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). Minimum required scores are 80 on the Internet-based TOEFL, and 7.0 on the IELTS. Scores must be sent directly from either TOEFL (please use ETS institution code #5848) or the IELTS agency to the Graduate School.
- Resume or CV - A Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume is required by most graduate programs. Your CV may be uploaded as part of the online application for admission or it may be sent directly to the program administrator of your desired program.
- Essay - Your essay/goals statement may be uploaded or included with the online application (SURFS). The statement should be between 300- to 500-words and outline your goals and objectives in pursuing graduate study.
- Application for in-state status classification (Maryland residents only) - If you wish to be considered for “in-state” residency status for admission and tuition purposes you must complete an Application for In-State Classification and submit it to the Office of the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Information for Program Directors
You may check the status and progress of your application online once it has been electronically submitted to the Graduate School. Supplimental items such as resumes and essays may be added to your application may be added at a later date. Additional items such as official transcripts need to be sent to the Graduate School via postal mail or email at email@example.com. Please do not attempt to update your application by re-submitting it again.