Admission to the certificate program Is highly selective. A U.S. bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from a non-U.S. educational institution is required. No specific undergraduate course of study is required or recommended.
The certificate program can be taken on a full-time or part time basis. For international students, since the program is online, visas are not required.
Application Materials for this Certificate Program
- Completed Online Application Form: see below for links to "Application Instructions" and to "Apply Now." For application type, choose: "GRAD - RESEARCH ETHICS CERT"
- Curriculum Vitae or resume: email to Dr. Henry J. Silverman, Director, Certificate in Research Ethics, at email@example.com
Transcripts from all prior colleges/universities.Submit official documents to the Graduate School (see below address) at the time of application. Individuals offered admission will be required to supply official documents (as indicated below for domestic and international students) prior to enrollment for verification before our offer is considered official.
a. Domestic transcripts: official transcripts must arrive in envelopes sealed by the issuing institutions certifying the awarding of the specified degree. Copies, opened or unsealed envelopes, unofficial printout, or facsimiles will not be accepted as official documents. The process of requesting transcripts from universities can take many weeks, so please plan accordingly.
b. International transcripts: International applicants must provide one (1) official transcript in English and one (1) official native language transcript or mark sheet from each college or university attended.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation submitted through the Graduate School website at http://cf.umaryland.edu/graduate/letter_of_recommendation/. Choose "Research Ethics" as the Program of Study.
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score reports: International applicants are required to demonstrate proficiency in the English language must be sent directly from either TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) agencies. Minimum required scores are 80 on the Internet-based TOEFL, and 7.0 on the IELTS.
All official scores must be sent directly from either TOEFL (please use institution code #5848) or IELTS to the Graduate School.
- GRE scores are not required for admission to this certificate program.
- Statement of Academic Goals and Research Interests - Submit with the online application a statement of academic purpose (500-750 words) addressing a) your purpose in pursuing this certificate degree and b) how the degree program fits into your overall professional goals.
- Application for In-State Status Classification [PDF] (Maryland residents only) - Send directly to Graduate School.
- $75 (US) Non-refundable application fee - Pay online or send directly to Graduate School.
- An admission interview (via phone or skype) may be requested.
Fall 2014: July 31
Spring 2015: December 15
Summer 2015: April 15
University of Maryland Graduate School
620 West Lexington Street, 5th Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Tel: (410) 706-7131
Tuition & Financial Aid
Need-based financial assistance from UMB is not available for the certificate program. Download information on tuition costs.