President's Entrepreneurial Fellowship
One of UMB’s top priorities is commercializing innovative technologies discovered by UMB faculty into new therapeutics, vaccines, diagnostics, medical devices, software solutions, and research tools. Successful technology transfer can improve healthcare around the world and create jobs in Maryland.
In FY 17, UMB licensed 40 technologies invented by its faculty to private companies, including nine new start-up companies.
The President’s Entrepreneurial Fellowship is a new initiative designed to give students from UMB and the Smith School of Business hands-on training and experience in commercializing health science discoveries made by UMB faculty. The Fellows will work together as an inter-disciplinary team to bring several of UMB’s most promising technologies to market.
The Fellowship is managed by UM Ventures Baltimore, which is part of the UMB Office of Research and Development. UM Ventures staff, UMB entrepreneurial faculty, and private-sector entrepreneurs will train the Fellows to evaluate technologies and market opportunities; identify funding sources and strategic partners; and develop business, legal and regulatory strategies. The Fellows will use this training to help UM Ventures commercialize UMB-owned inventions.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a degree program at the University of Maryland, Baltimore or the Smith School of Business for the duration of the Fellowship. Postdocs are not eligible.
- Fellows will work 200 hours - on average ten hours a week for twenty weeks.
- Approximately 20% of this time will be devoted to receiving training and mentoring. The balance of the time will be devoted to working on specefic technologies.
- The schedule will be flexible to accomodate course work and other responsibilities.
- Fellow will be paid a $5,000 scholarship towards tuition.
- Five Fellowships will be awarded.
Applications must include the student's CV, a cover letter describing the student's particular qualifications and interest in the Fellowship, and at least one Faculty recommendation. If the student has a mentor/adviser, the the recommendation must be from the mentor/adviser.
November 1, 2017: Applications Due at 5:00 PM
November 15, 2017: Fellowship commences
Fellowship Duration: 4 months excluding holiday breaks
Please submit applications, preferably as a single PDF document, to VPORD@umaryland.edu. Any questions may be sent to the same email address.