The Grid Pitch and Expo is a student and community event that promotes entrepreneurial ideas.
This showcase allows for students to compete for non-dilutive funding by presenting their innovative business ideas to a panel of experts and investors in the entrepreneurial community. Prior to the pitch competition, we are inviting biotech, life science, health tech, public health, or social entrepreneurs from the community to showcase their businesses in our expo portion of the day. All finalists will have access to mentoring services as well as education and training that will help them prepare for their final pitch.
Applications are now closed. Thank you to all of our applicants!
- The Grid Pitch Competition is open to all University of Maryland, Baltimore students. Each team must have at least one (1) UMB student. Each team member must participate in the proposed business idea.
- The proposed idea must be in the biotech, life science, health tech, public health, or social entrepreneurship fields.
- All applications will be evaluated based on specific judging criteria. Applicants must demonstrate an ability to move the proposed plan to completion and showing how the product can be moved to market.
- Businesses can be an established business or an idea.
- Teams that have acquired over $100,000 in gross revenue from operations to date resulting from the sales of products and/or services are not eligible.
- Any applications submitted after February 16, 2018 will not be eligible.
- Please do not contact any panel members prior to the date of the competition. This will automatically disqualify an entry from this competition.
Please address any questions to Jenny Owens, Faculty Executive Director, ScD, at email@example.com.
Applications open: Jan. 17, 2018, at 8 p.m. EST
Information Session: Feb. 1, 2018, at noon EST
Applications close: Feb. 16, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. EST
Pitch Competition & Expo: Wednesday, April 25, 2018
- First Place: $3,000 and a 3-month co-working membership to the Grid.
Coworking Membership Features:
- Access to space: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Conference room times, if available
- Access to members-only events
- Second Place: $2,000
- Third Place: $1,000
*Higher prizes may be awarded depending on sponsorship.
Each team must have one (1) University of Maryland, Baltimore student. Any of the team members can conduct the final pitch.
No, but it helps! Please consider recruiting team members from different disciplines. This will help you develop a well-rounded pitch.
All team members are eligible to present at the competition. Each team member must be present at the competition or your team will be disqualified.
Since this is primarily an educational experience, all finalists are able to attend classes and have access to one-on-one mentoring at The Grid.